Spring is in the air and I will probably not be turning my oven on again till fall. So, this morning I decided lets send winter off with one last batch of Muffins! Not just any muffins, but Vegan Blueberry (antioxidants), Banana (potassium), Cinnamon (blood sugar balancing). They are divine! Not to sweet yet so flavorful,and so simple to make!
I am giving you some options for your ingredients. Such as which sweetener, milk, and oil you prefer. I have tried them all and they all work beautifully. Here we go!
Blueberry Banana Cinnamon Muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2 cups Organic Unbleached White Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 cup Soy, Rice , Almond or Coconut Milk.
1/2 cup Rice, Maple, or Agave Syrup
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Sunflower, Safflower, or Coconut Oil
1 Medium size Banana mashed
1 cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- In one bowl whisk together Dry Ingredients to be sure they are thoroughly blended
- In a Second bowl add all wet ingredients except the Blueberries and whisk together to ensure blending
- Spray Muffin Tin or Spring Form Pan with Oil Spray
- Then pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients using a stir/fold type movement mix. DO NOT over mix, a few little lumps will give the muffins character
- Then fold in Blueberries
- Spoon into Muffin Tin or a seven or eight inch Spring Form Pan (this will make a lovely Breakfast Cake)
- Then dot with a few more Blueberries (can never have too many Blueberries) these will burst and drizzle their juices down the Muffins or Cake
- Place in the oven on middle rack
- Bake muffins for 30 minutes and cake for 40 to 45
- Test with skewer for doneness or tap with fingers and they should feel firm.
Now a few ideas on Ingredients:
I like Eden Brand Soy/Rice Beverage. Should you choose Coconut Milk I would not use canned, instead try So Delicious Brand. Vanilla flavored is divine and usually found in the Dairy Case at most Natural Food Stores. It's only drawback is that it contains Cane Sugar and not everyone wants that in their diet.
I use Rice Syrup for a mild sweetening experience. Rice Syrup will also enters the bloodstream much slower then simple sugars so you will not have a blood sugar level crash thirty minutes after eating. Rice Syrup along with the addition of Cinnamon will keep your blood sugar levels balanced.
When considering Maple Syrup as an ingredient in any recipe remember it does add another dimension to the flavor. This can be favorable depending on the other ingredients. Try omitting the Blueberries and add Toasted Walnuts and Maple
Syrup with the Banana, or Maple, Pecan and Peach! Oh! Raspberry, Coconut with Coconut Milk and Coconut Oil.The beauty of this recipe is that you can have fun being creative! I hope you enjoy this recipe and please post comments and questions. I look forward to hearing from you!
NEXT TIME: A Spring Cleansing Diet